Velociraptor has many features.
To give you a taste of what Velociraptor can do, here are some of the more interesting features:
Easy setup and deployment
- Velociraptor ships as a singe executable which has no dependencies and requires no installation routine
- Settings are defined by a pair of config files - one for the server and one for each endpoint
- All comms between endpoints and the server are encrypted
- The GUI supports SSL and SSO via Google Auth for strong identity management
- Once an endpoint is started, it’s instantly available on the server dashboard (after a browser refresh).
- Quickly search for endpoints and connect to them for fast browsing and evidence collection
- Easily browse the contents of endpoint file systems, even bypass locked files using raw NTFS access
- Remotely inspect and download files of interest all through the GUI
- Search for files across all endpoints using glob expressions, file metadata and even Yara signatures
- Collect files from endpoints automatically and on demand
- Search and parse the Windows Registry for keys and values of interest
- Perform triage collection of the most common digital forensic artefacts using build-in collection templates
- Use the built-in library of artefacts to easily hunt for a wide range of forensic artefacts simultaneously across a whole network
- Acquire process memory based on various conditions for further examination by Windbg
- Apply Yara signatures to process memory
- Extend VQL with WMI to build powerful queries for interrogation and data collection
- An interactive shell is even available, for those unexpected times when you need to get hands-on.
Event streaming to monitor endpoint activity
Velociraptor also supports streaming event queries on endpoints themselves, meaning that data can be collected automatically from endpoints and stored on the server, for continual monitoring and real-time alerting, or for archival and investigation after the fact. Examples include:
- Operating system logging events such as privileged account activities and process execution
- Extended logging, for example through Sysmon integration
- DNS queries and responses.
Escalations can be automatically actioned on the server, upon collection of client events
User interface and automation
- An advanced GUI which makes many simple tasks easy
- Server-side VQL allows for automating the server using VQL queries too, for example to launch further collection automatically when certain conditions are
- A Python API also allows for full control of the server using Python, including post processing acquired data.
Endpoint resource management
- Endpoint activities can be carefully managed, for example client-side throttling allows you to run intensive operations on the endpoints at a controlled rate to minimise impact on endpoint performance.